What We Do
- Blessings in a Backpack provides food over the weekend to children that qualify for the Federal Free and Reduced Lunch program.
- Students receive a backpack each Friday with easy to prepare meals and snacks.
- Students return the backpacks on Monday mornings nourished and ready to learn.
- Money raised in our community stays in our community. As a non-profit organization with 501(c)(3) status, we support our program costs through fundraising events, grants and both individual and business donations.
Why Blessings in a Backpack is Needed
- Up to 77% of elementary-age students in the Wausau and DC Everest schools qualify for Federal Free and Reduced Lunch.
- Unmet nutritional needs make it very difficult for children to learn, pay attention in class, and behave properly to retain knowledge
Typical Backpack Food Items
- The backpacks include two breakfast items, two snacks and two lunches of easy to prepare food items such as oatmeal, granola bars, and mac & cheese.
- Blessings in a Backpack reviews its menu items with a nutritionist to ensure appropriateness.
National Support, Local Emphasis
- Blessings in a Backpack mentors and supports communities to run food backpack projects in more than 511 schools in 41 states and serves more than 58,000 children.
- Our local affiliate serves students in the DC Everest and Wausau School Districts.