What We Do
- Blessings in a Backpack provides food over the weekend to children that qualify for the Federal Free and Reduced Lunch program.
- Students receive a backpack each Friday with easy to prepare meals and snacks.
- Students return the backpacks on Monday mornings nourished and ready to learn.
- Money raised in our community stays in our community. As a non-profit organization with 501(c)(3) status, we support our program costs through fundraising events, grants and both individual and business donations.
Why Blessings in a Backpack is Needed
- Up to 77% of elementary-age students in the Wausau and DC Everest schools qualify for Federal Free and Reduced Lunch.
- Unmet nutritional needs make it very difficult for children to learn, pay attention in class, and behave properly to retain knowledge
Typical Backpack Food Items
- The backpacks include two breakfast items, two snacks and two lunches of easy to prepare food items such as oatmeal, granola bars, and mac & cheese.
- Blessings in a Backpack reviews its menu items with a nutritionist to ensure appropriateness.
National Support, Local Emphasis
- Blessings in a Backpack mentors and supports communities to run food backpack projects in more than 511 schools in 41 states and serves more than 58,000 children.
- Our local affiliate serves students in the DC Everest and Wausau School Districts.
If you are interested in helping out our great cause by volunteering please CLICK HERE to visit our volunteer page.
If you are interested in providing a monetary donation or organizing a food drive, please CLICK HERE to visit our get involved page.